Bear spotted in Niskayuna | News
There have been recent reports of a black bear wandering around Niskayuna.
Sande Leonardo of Amherst Avenue, near Mohawk Commons, sent us these pictures of the bear in her yard yesterday afternoon.
Niskayuna police say there have been six reported sightings in the last week of a young bear in both residential and commercial areas -- including Albany Street, Mohawk Commons, the Mohawk Club and WTRY Road.
Police say they contacted the DEC and were told that if the bear is not acting aggressively then they won't come to investigate. Police say the DEC told them the bear will move along on its own.
Residents are encouraged to call with sightings. Police note that it's unusual to see a bear in a densely populated area. Although there are no reports of the animal going through anyone's garbage, police advice people to keep their trash secured. Of course, they also remind people to not approach the bear.
Subrina Dhammi is working on this story today.
Upcoming Events near Niskayuna
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- FBI, State Police, NYPD raid mobile home in Malta -- but will not say why
- Clifton Park bulk waste pick up starts April 28
- Apple Blossom Festival scheduled in Rexford
- Man accused of driving drunk, talking on phone with child in car
- Saratoga Casino to take part in bidders conference despite lack of support